Sunday, December 27, 2020

Looking back at 2020

 

It has certainly been a far different year to the one I had imagined this time last year but in a way (for my art only) I am glad it happened. This may seem an odd thing to say when I was unable to send paintings to exhibitions that I had been accepted into, or to take the reference photos that I had hoped and planned to take for new paintings, but the lockdown forced me to take stock and reflect upon where I was in my art journey and the direction or path I wanted to continue along. 

The four paintings of Isla in the photo above were not the only paintings I did this year but they were significant for me because the lockdown and then the year of social distancing forced me to look again at previously discarded references with a new more imaginative eye. 

I decided in each painting I created to consciously focus in on what was  important and develop a story or capture a certain mood in each through use of colour and value.  I have always loved using the luminosity of transparent watercolour, but this year I wanted to use it with more purpose creating pathways of light and soft high key edges. With no deadlines I was able to take my time. to stop and reflect when needed and sometimes even to start again until I felt the painting conveyed what I had initially hoped for.

Top left: Cookies Aint Just for the Big Guy

Bottom left: Small Wonders

Bottom Centre: Sharing is Caring

Right: Distant Dreams

Painting them has been an interesting  journey and has reinforced both why I love painting and make clearer to me the path I want to continue along in my art journey. (I promise that I will explain more about this 2nd part next year)  For now... I think I have rambled enough for this year.

Do you have a favourite?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ona,

    Lovely to hear your story of painting during lockdown. Is this adorable Isla related to you? I think my favourite is the first in the group.

    Wishing you and all of us a more normal life in 2021.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete