Saturday, January 19, 2019

❄️ Saturday Sneak Peak ❄️ Method Painting?

It's Bitterly cold here in Ontario this weekend (Temperatures with a high of -16 and dropping down to a feels like of -30 Celsius) Someone in my painting looks less than impressed with these temperatures!


A technique of acting known as 'Method Acting' in which an actor aspires to complete emotional identification with a part they play is certainly similar to me creating this painting in these temperatures. Doing this outside, albeit briefly, did help me to empathize with the emotions of feeling cold though. Maybe we should call it 'Method Painting'  or 'Pain Air Painting' (grin)

Big painting aside, I am also having fun experimenting to see what effects you can get painting watercolour in cold temperatures. When you paint in really cold temperatures the water crystallizes as it freezes. This creates really cool effects. It was -17 when I  did this test below. Not sure yet if I will incorporate this effect into my painting as I want a much more subtle effect but it's been fun trying it out.


I will keep practicing to see is level of wetness and temperature will create different effects. If anyone has any other ideas for creating fun effects in cold temperatures please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I prefer not to suffer! I'll leave the experimenting to you then, Ona! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good idea in these temperatures. I'm wrapped up though and good to go

      Delete