Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Painting babies

A local gallery has expressed an interest in using me for any portrait commissions. Last weekend I put together a portfolio of portrait examples and as I was doing so I realised that although I have examples of toddlers, young children, older children, adults and older people I havent ever painted a really young baby so this is a small 10 by 12 inch painting that I can use as an example. I think it might make a popular design for my greetings cards too.

I wanted the focus to be those huge wide eyes as the baby takes in all the new experiences that are around but also include those cute baby features, the button nose and toothless mouth. 

This is actually an experiment too because I pre-stretched the watercolour paper over stretcher bars and now the painting is done I am going to fix and varnish it. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Ona

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful transluscent quality to the skin. Beautifully painted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete