Happy New Year everyone!
It's traditional at the beginning of a new year to make resolutions and I thought it would be fun to think about all those quirky idiosyncracies that make us artists and with the help of my friends from Art Colony and those on facebook I have compiled a list of 12 resolutions. Why twelve? ... one to break for each month of the year of course :)
12 New year Resolutions for a watercolour artist!
1. I will try not to be late for a meeting or appointment because I suddenly knew exactly what that important detail of my latest painting was that I just had to fix it while it was fresh in my mind.
2. When I go out, I will refrain from always stopping and gazing at the world around me especially when I’m standing in the entrance of a public building or at the top or bottom of the escalator.
3. I will place my tea/coffee or other beverage on the opposite side to my paint water with a saucer over the top.
4. I will not worry so much about the tidiness of my studio space and explain my deplorably bad housekeeping by saying, "it's a work-in-progress..."
5. I will refrain from using my calming strategy (reaching for my favourite softest brush and stroking against my cheek or hand while I think about how to fix the latest mistake) on the cat, dog or any other family members. It doesn’t seem to help to fix their mistakes!
6. I will try my hardest not to stare at people in a queue as I break their faces up into shadows and lines, colours and shapes and look for colours under the skin tones.
7. I will not bore my family by exclaiming that’s not just yellow that’s raw sienna with a hint of quin gold and then glazed with a very pale wash of brown madder
8. I will not drive with a camera on the steering wheel to catch pieces of landscape and I will also pull over if I see something beautiful instead of driving all over the road as I gaze out my window!
9. I WILL stop and take a photo no matter what...instead of grieving over it, 10 miles down the road!!
10. I will remember to take off my coat before I start painting and end up getting the paint all over my sleeves!
11. I will not keep my eraser next to my healthy carrot stick snacks while sketching plein aire
12. I will market my latest abstract watercolour poured white socks as designer label originals and not just throw them in the washing machine.