Saturday, January 30, 2010
Sorry about the delay but I havent been well. I have been allowed home from hospital today for a couple of hours and managed to do a little more painting. It was good to hold a brush again. I miss the joy of creating. Most of the progress that you can see was done last weekend gradually defining the features on the mom's face. Today I have only done her sweater. There is still lots to do particularly shading on her neck and of course her hair but I have to go back to the hospital now so the painting will have to wait until I am discharged. I hope its not too long because I have an idea for the next in my orange murder mystery series and i'm really keen to get started. I think a sketch pad may well be making its way back to the hospital with me so I can try out some ideas.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
I've finished painting the daughter now apart from a couple of small touch ups. I'm afraid I can't get her hair in my photo looking like it does in the real painting. I think the camera picks up on all the colours that I have used because her hair is made up of many layers of fine brushstrokes and then washed with clear water to soften it. I decided to finish the daughter before doing any more work on Mom because this now gives me some value references to help me get her skin tones correct.. at least that's my theory.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Today I began developing the skin tones on both the mom and daughter. I have only completed the first 4 layers on mom's face though so she still looks a little orange. I had great fun on the daughter's face developing the different skin tones to help suggest the glass in her glasses. I also used a wash of clear water over the whole area to soften her features to make them appear behind the glass. I still have a little work to do on her mouth and eye brows but I think other than this her face is done. Tomorrow I am hoping to start her shirt.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I am progressing well with the painting. I decided to create a traditional dark studio style background. This was a challenge because I am using hot press paper. I glazed multiple layers of colour to create a mottled effect and had to wait nearly 90 minutes between layers for the paint to totally dry before rewetting and applying the next glaze to avoid creating a muddly mess. Once the background was complete I then started to underpin the facial features of mom and daughter. They both look a funny colour at this stage but the skin tones are yet to be added. At least they are starting to look recognisable.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
First I would like to wish you all a very
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!
As you can see I have been busy over the last couple of weeks painting a commission for my client of her daughter and her dog. I have really enjoyed the opportunity to paint a dog again. Its been a while since I last did the one of my dog Harry with my son. Each dog has such a wonderfuly individual character and its great fun trying to convey this on paper.
My next project is one that is very special to my heart and involves a double portrait. I am really looking forward to it.