Sunday, August 21, 2016

Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society 13th National Exhibition of Transparent Watercolors and finally a new painting!

It's been a busy couple of weeks with lots of exciting news.   

 I had an email yesterday to ler me know that both 'Thought Bubbles' and 'Accelerando' have been accepted into the Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society's 13th National Exhibition of Transparent Watercolors! The exhibition will be in Lockport, NY, October 30-November 13th. The juror is Thomas Schaller.


I haven't done much painting this month because I have been slowly working on framing these newer paintings and getting my new art cards designed ready for printing. The Ted book has also taken up a fair amount of my time but I have completed one smallish painting. It was well out of my comfort zone but I enjoyed the challenge.


Thank you Paul Jackson for challenging me to paint a city night scene. I really enjoyed creating the illusion of light in the darkness. I chose to paint the sparkling city lights of Toronto because, well you know me, there is always a story or some meaning behind my paintings.

Toronto is a beautiful, almost magical city at night, especially when viewed from across the water. But, to me the light in the darkness is on more than one level. Yes, it has its faults, nowhere is perfect and there will always be dark moments but the light that shines metaphorically through the love and tolerance people show for each other here is very noticeable. I hope I managed to capture a little of both the physical light in the darkness and through my colour palette the love, tolerance and acceptance that this city shows the world is possible.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that" Martin Luther King Jr

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for getting those paintings in the exhibit, they are both so lovely. I like your night scene too - cities are so magical at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are, aren't they. I think I will be painting more. Thanks for the congrats too.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete