Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rise up above the clouds! Portrait WIP1

 I wonder if anyone spends as long on a background as me? Its taken me a week and many layers of glazing to create the effect I wanted. Its been fun though.

To me, a background helps to set the scene and develop the mood or atmosphere of the painting. I wanted a soft almost dreamy feel to this.

I expect many of you have traveled by air and have looked down at the clouds below. It has an almost unreal feel to it. We are so used to looking up at the clouds but now they are below us like snowy mountain ranges peaking through a layer of mist.


This was what I was imagining as I began creating the background.

Ok, time for a quick science lesson now :)

Each winter, when a high pressure weather system moves over the snow-covered mountain valleys , something takes place called a temperature inversion. When this happens the warmer air above traps a layer of cold air in the valley and the clouds settle almost on top of us weighing us down with misery as we long for the sunshine once more. Yet only a couple thousand feet above us, sometimes not even that much, the sky is deep blue in every direction and the sun sparkles. 

Isn't this a little like our lives? We so easily allow the problems and stresses of life to cloud around us, blocking our vision and dulling our spirits.  We need to remember though  that hope and sunshine are just above the haze. Once we realize this, we can leave the clouds of despair below us and move into the sunlight of hope. I guess this is partly what this painting is about and its an important thing to remember at this time of year as we lead up to Christmas.

I'm not sure how quickly I'm going to get the actual portrait section completed in the coming weeks but I'm going to remember to keep my head firmly above the clouds as I do so :)

Ona

8 comments:

  1. I love this whole post, the painting, the text, everything! Hope and sunshine are just above the haze... that's so beautiful. Your background is stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so magnificent, Ona. Looking forward to see your progress. Always enjoy reading your commetary, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely science lesson that was! Good analogy, Ona. The background looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Katherine, it's a good thought to keep at this time of year isn't it...as we oh so easily get caught up in all the stresses of preparing for christmas.

    Thank you Carol and Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful start to another wonderful ona painting.. those clouds are outstanding.. so many gorgeous colors mixed in.. thanks for the special thoughts too.. really meant a lot this morning...
    will check back to see the finishing touches..
    wishing the merriest of christmas's, to you and your family...hugs, cindi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cindi. Merry Christmas too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ona -- I love it!!! Can hardly wait until it's finished. I picked up my watercolors today and after working on still life in oils, it's quite an experience. I've had many lessons in watercolor but just haven't done anything in them for a long time. I did the pouring thing, using the primaries only, but what I found was that almost totally obliterated my drawing. This will be a practice piece.
    Happy painting!! Caraleen Baker/London, Ont.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Caraleen. Enjoy your experiments with watercolour. Its such a fun medium but challenging too.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete