Friday, September 16, 2011

Dreaming WIP 2

I've had a lot of fun playing with the effect of light on the fence as a way to draw more attention to the dreamcatcher. I still have some work to do grounding the fence and adding in the shadows on the floor and darkening the far portion of the fence a little more to recede it into the background but its nearly done.

I played around a lot with the composition of the fence during my initial planning stage. I had originally thought of having a fence snaking off into the distance but after doing some initial sketches this felt either too distracting or too enclosing depending on the direction the fence took. I didn't want the fence to lead our eyes out of the painting but equally I didnt want the message to be one of imprisonment if I curved it behind the child. Fences are often used to symbolize a barrier so it felt appropriate to have the fence ending. This way it provides an opportunity to lean on it momentarily and dream  but also to allows the freedom to walk around at some time in the future should the child want to. After all it is up to each one of us to choose whether to have the courage to go forwards and follow our dreams or not.

Ona

4 comments:

  1. This little girl has such a wistful expression. I love how the work is progressing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pat. Yes, it was the child's expression that I first fell in love with too.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete
  3. ona this is so beautiful.. as usual... the skin tones the g and of course the hair.. you do awesome work! love your ideas for paintings .. they just draw you right in and tell a wonderful story, that holds you there..:)

    ReplyDelete