Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Sunworshippers WIP 1

I have wanted to paint this idea since last October but have had to wait until now to take some reference photos I could use.

Rebecca and I went to Toronto Islands last week for a lazy couple of hours on the beach. We went early so we could be away before the real heat of the day. It was a fascinating people watching exercise. A lot of people seem to take the whole sunbathing thing so seriously. There were some obvious pros there who did this regularly, placing the towel at just the right angle to the sun, bronzing lotion close at hand so as little movement as needed for re-application, sunshades on to take the glare of the sun away. Here is one who was a little less 'pro' but the angle of the photo was just what I needed.



The next day, while stocking up the cupboards with food we selected a couple of equally pro sun worshippers, some sunflowers. I was fascinated by the parallel between these sunflowers and the people we had seen the previous day, each following the sun’s movements, basking in its light and soaking up its warmth. This is a typical ref photo for me. I'm not worried about background. What I focus on is the light and position of my subject. I taped the flowers stem to the back of a chair so it would sit at just the angle I wanted.



I wanted to combine the sunflower and sunbather in my painting, both person and sunflower worshipping the sun. I won’t have time to start painting it until next week but thought you would enjoy seeing the outline I have created... meet 'The Sunworshippers'.

 Ona

5 comments:

  1. Omigosh Ona, this is super clever, can't wait to see you put some color to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Lou. There are so many parallels between us and the natural world. Its fun to play with them in a painting.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea for a painting. Will enjoy seeing this progress xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea Ona, and the wide format you're going for, can't wait to see it develope

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to have your company here Pat

    Thank you Teresa. Yes, I liked the wider format for this one.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete