Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Steel Drummer WIP 1

A couple weeks ago my daugher Rebecca took some wonderful photo's for me to use a references at the Richmond Hill Heritage Festival. This one in particular captured my interest.


 I just loved the players obvious absorption in his interpretation of the music he was playing that is conveyed in this photo. It is as if his whole body is feeling the music...he and the steel pan are one as he plays.

I decided to eliminate the rather distracting background in the reference and have decided instead to create a more abstract background using the circular patterns on the inside of the steel pan in my outline. I am hoping to use the steel pans reflective qualities to help draw attention to my intended centre of interest... fingers crossed it works.


I have finished drawing out the outline above to size on arches cold press. It has also been stretched and taped on a board to give me a smooth drum like surface to enable me to paint the background more easily. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be dry enough for me to begin.

Ona

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how you develop this one.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you bring this painting to life. These are some of my favorite kinds of paintings, showing people and their activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Barb and Ann. Yes, I love these sorts of references too.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete