I'm having such fun exploring and stretching my techniques at the moment.
I'm still refining my skills in gallery wrapping a watercolour. This time I used some foam core cut to size on top of the stretcher bars and then wrapped the stretched watercolour paper around both. It makes the painted surface far more sturdy both while you are working on it and once its finished. I still have to fix and varnish it but its looking promising. I'm getting to grips with the wrapping stage but It is definitely worth having a willing helper for a few extra hands.
This one has taken a bit longer than the last (about 7 hours) as I wanted to play with a low key effect. The black background is created with transparent watercolours (no black was used) Its actually about 10 glazes of different blues, both siennas, sepia and raw umber.
I took the photo from this angle so you can see that I have gallery wrapped the painting too. I ended up balancing the stretched frame on an upturned pot so I could work on the sides at the same time as the front of the painting to get a nice smooth wash over the whole area. I'm really pleased with the effect and it will certainly be an option that I offer to any future client requesting a commission. This painting, along with the painting of the baby are not for sale but will be used as examples of the effect that can be created in this style of presenting a watercolour.