Monday, February 7, 2011

Grandpa WIP 2

I thought that I would bring you up to date with my progress today. I love this stage of a painting where I get to bring a personality to life on the paper. 
Today I have begun working on the clothing. I am using the same colours as I used for the background with the addition of the reds that I am going to use to paint the engine. I chose this colour scheme because I want the painting to evoke that 'oldy worldy days gone by' feel without me resorting to the monochrome approach of an old photo.

I am pleased with how the painting is progressing so far. There is always that moment, at least for me, when I begin a painting where I wonder if I am going to be able to create on paper what I can see in my mind. I always feel happier once I am at this stage and its beginning to take shape.

Ona

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the light in this...looks like another winner, Ona. I'm sure James will love your depiction of his much love Grandpa.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ree. Luckily the lighting is coming from a fairly similar direction in the ref photo. I'm just accentuating it a little. I'll have to work a bit harder when I paint the engine though.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete