Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lab adore background


I have begun working on a leafy maple background and am using many of the same pigments that I will use when I paint my son and Harry. First I painted in a wet on wet background using sap green with a touch of burnt sienna and brown madder with a touch of rose madder. Then when dry I painted in some Japanese maple leaves using a mixture of brown madder and caput mortum. I am planning to paint the rest of the maple leaves in early fall colours so I can pick out the more orange and golden brown hues that can be seen in Harry's eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wip. This is quite an undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you following along. I think portraits especially are great fun as WIPS. People are often so amazed at how many colours are used when painting a face in watercolour.

    Ona

    ReplyDelete